Farrar's Faucet: A psychologist’s candid, productive and often humorous take on principled business behavior and better business outcomes.

Special Edition on What Matters Most

This month there are three articles…click on the links for more.

Our lead article provides you with information about principled relationships and what it takes to become an ethical leader who gets things done. Following that is an article on the basic interpersonal skills, and then humor with a twist: “The dead horses of strategy”.

What matters most

I’m not one for New Year’s resolutions or thinking that magic makeovers are possible. Change is hard work and often people’s last choice when they have exhausted all the other alternatives.

However, I have found that the clients I work with benefit from taking a step back and refocusing on what leadership behaviors matter most. There are three core behaviors that underlay all good leadership, and here they are.

more...

The basic interpersonal skills

I knew when I was at university that I wasn’t going to become a clinical psychologist. My undergraduate degree was in economics, and I was focusing on organizational and leadership work in my graduate program. I took the minimum clinical subjects I needed, and I was lucky enough to spend six months in an internship in a family therapy practice.

In that very difficult environment I learned the power of basic interpersonal skills and how profoundly they can change someone's life.


The dead horses of strategy

Sometimes as a consultant I find myself called in to help clients who can best be described as caught in the act of flogging a dead horse.

When that happens you don't need a consultant. You need a new horse.

(Of course, a good consultant can find you a new horse or a better form of transport. That's another story.)

more…



Email me here


No comments: