Farrar's Faucet: A psychologist’s candid, productive and often humorous take on principled business behavior and better business outcomes.

A psychologist's experience of open heart surgery

So this is me six days after surgery: at home, out of pain and well on the road to a complete recovery and resumption of my healthy pre-op life.

I've done well, but more importantly, I had a network of really powerful relationships supporting me through all this. Let me take a quick moment to express my thanks to my beautiful wife Genevieve, her mother and my parents, the surgical and post-operative teams at Park Nicollet Cardiology, my friends, my clients and everyone who has been in touch and provided comfort and support.

My recovery has been really good. I know that because I saw others on my ward and heard the experiences recounted to me by the medical teams. This is the biggest thing that has ever happened to me...more life changing than I could have imagined originally. I took notes throughout, and with hind sight I can pull apart my experiences and explain them with the benefit of my training. I am going to put what I have learned into a series of posts here.
  • The importance of trust
  • Self-awareness
  • Self-efficacy and the belief you can do well
  • Emotional support
  • Managing your emotional state
  • Building relationships
  • Appreciating others
The soft stuff is the hard stuff. Everything I knew and applied helped me come through this as strong and well as I did.

You can send me an email by clicking here, or you can share a comment for others to see by clicking on the word "comments" below.

Sincerely,

David

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't expect to see a post here so soon. Very nice to read that and see the photo.

I'm so glad you're doing so well so fast.

And you took notes throughout. I'm looking forward to reading more.

See you soon!

Mike

David Farrar said...

Thank you Mike, and everyone else who has sent me an email, card and in some cases even flowers! They were all VERY much appreciated, and they have kept my spirits up throughout.

Thank you.