Farrar's Faucet: A psychologist’s candid, productive and often humorous take on principled business behavior and better business outcomes.

Life Is A Marathon

Last week, after a three year break, I completed my sixth marathon in the seven years I have been in the US. It was a cold, rainy day and many of the crowds and cheerleaders stayed away. I timed the run well and with an hour to go I could have walked and still beaten the sweep car. I came in with time to spare, and I think I feel better than any of my other marathons.

Before I say anything else I want to thank a few people who made it possible.




First there is my charming and beautiful wife! Genevieve is a source of perpetual inspiration. If I were half as good as half the things Gen says I would be Superman! Gen cycled and drove around the course cheering, delivering snacks and supplying motivation.


Then she brought me home, poured me a beer and made lunch. What more could you ask for?



This is my mother-in-law. Camille doesn't like having photos taken! However, she likes taking photos, and has snapped many of the photos that end up here. Camille came out in the pouring rain and brought me hot coffee and warm gloves. Good-on-ya Camille.







This is the rest of my US family. Elvis is my little brother from the BigBrotherBigSister program. We have known each other for just about all of the seven years I have been in America. Here is a photo of him now with his new wife, Andrea, and new little Elvis, Jnr. Little Brother Elvis is not so little now. BBBS is about providing support and mentoring, and maybe a positive role model. However, Elvis has been a really positive influence in my life, probably more than I have been in his. He is a great young man and it makes me feel good to think I have been lucky enough to have been "adopted" by him.


Vincent Francoul, the best French Chef in the Twin Cities, and probably the whole of the US, also ran the marathon, and then did a special paella dinner for a bunch of us who were recovering. Way to go! For him and all my other American, Australian and global friends and clients who sent their good wishes: THANK YOU.

26.2 miles is a long way and you have a lot of time to think as you slog around the course. It's nice to achieve something, and nicer still to have friends and family and a strong network to support you and help you along the way. I am pleased with what I did and grateful for all the help.

And before you ask my time, (which was pretty slow), here's a quick joke.


Q: What do you call the last person to cross the line?
A: A marathon runner.

No comments: